explore '20 kicks off with lively discussions with Expedia Group executives on how the lessons from 2020 can help rebuild a more resilient, inclusive, and sustainable travel industry.
Immediately following the general session will be our line of business deep dives. Learn more about the agenda for those sessions via the links below.
General Session Agenda
From Industry Crisis to Industry Transformation
Learn why Expedia Group CEO Peter Kern is optimistic about the future of travel, with lessons from leading the company through a pandemic, in a focused discussion with Yeoh Siew Hoon, founder of Web in Travel.
Travel As We Know It
Expedia Group CFO, Eric Hart, makes heads or tails of the news and shares key themes from a turbulent year in travel to help partners in recovery.
General Session Speakers
Vice Chairman & CEO
Archie leads Udemy’s Product and Design teams and ensures that the company continues to build products that empower instructors to reach a global audience of students.
Yeoh Siew Hoon
Founder & Editor
Web In Travel
Danielle is the Founder of Course Alchemy and creator of #CourseFromScratch—an online accelerator for thought leaders & influencers to create & launch their flagship online courses.
Chief Financial Officer
Joseph Phillips is the author of seven books on project management and he's taught technology and project management for organizations around the world.
Melissa Norris is a host of exceptional ability. Studies show that a vast majority of guests attending events by Melissa have been known to leave more elated than visitors to Santa's Workshop, The Lost of Continent of Atlantis, and the Fountain of Youth.
Yeoh Siew Hoon
Yeoh Siew Hoon is the founder of WiT, launching it in Singapore in 2005 and going on to launch WiT editions across Asia Pacific. In 2016, WiT Europe made its debut in London, days after the Brexit vote.
WiT has won several awards including Most Innovative Marketing Initiative and Trade Conference Of The Year from the Singapore Tourism Board and in 2014, Siew Hoon was recognised Tourism Entrepreneur of The Year. A journalist by profession and passion, she’s also a speaker and facilitator at events around the world.
She’s also a published author of titles such as Around Asia In One Hour: Tales of Condoms, Chillies & Curries and children’s books such as Adventures of Habibie The Turtle and The Story of Baitong and Boon.
Peter Kern is the Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Expedia Group. Mr. Kern has been a director of Expedia Group since completion of the IAC/Expedia Group Spin-Off and has served as Vice Chairman of Expedia Group since June 2018. Mr. Kern has spent decades in leadership roles in public and private settings.
Previously, Mr. Kern was CEO of Tribune Media and Managing Partner of InterMedia Partners VII, LP, a private equity firm. Prior to joining InterMedia, Mr. Kern was Senior Managing Director and Principal of Alpine Capital LLC. Prior to Alpine Capital, Mr. Kern founded Gemini Associates in 1996 and served as President from its inception through its merger with Alpine Capital in 2001. Prior to founding Gemini Associates, Mr. Kern was at the Home Shopping Network and Whittle Communications. Mr. Kern has served on the Board of Directors of Tribune Media Company since October 2016, where he currently also serves as Chief Executive Officer, as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Hemisphere Media Group, Inc., a publicly-traded Spanish-language media company, since April 2013, and since 2016, as a member of Supervisory Board of trivago N.V., a majority-owned subsidiary of Expedia Group. Mr. Kern also serves on the boards of several private companies.
Mr. Kern holds a B.S. degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Eric Hart is Chief Financial Officer at Expedia Group. Prior to this role, he acted as Chief Strategy Officer where he was responsible for Expedia Group strategy and business development as well as global M&A and investments. In his ten years with Expedia Group, Hart was most recently the General Manager of CarRentals.com. Prior to that he led corporate strategy for the company, leading some of the company’s largest acquisitions.
Prior to joining Expedia Group, Hart spent time as a Vice President at Lake Capital, a Project Leader at Boston Consulting Group, and a Consultant at Accenture.
Hart holds a bachelor’s degree from Georgia State University and a Master’s in Business Administration from University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
Last Modified: January 10, 2020
What information we collect from you
In General. We receive and store any information you provide to us through the Site or given to us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you (“personal information“), such as your first and last name, telephone number and postal and email addresses.
Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer and your online activity when you visit the Site. For example, we may collect your IP address and information about what web browser software you use to access the Site (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer) and referring website. Where permitted by local law, we may also automatically collect information you enter into any data fields shown on the Site, including your email address and log-in credentials. We may also collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed or bookings made. Our goals in collecting this automatic information include helping to customize your user experience and inhibiting fraud. For more information, please see the Cookies and other technologies section below.
How we use your information
We use information about you to provide you with conference information and to communicate with you in general.
With whom we share your information
We do not share your information without your express consent.
YOUR CHOICES AND OPTING-OUT
You can correct or “opt-out” of receiving emails from us at any time by following the instructions included in your email or by sending a reply stating your request, and we will make the requested changes. Please note that we may retain certain information associated with you for record-keeping integrity.
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from this Site, you will not be able to access portions of our Site.
Cookies and other technologies
· To help measure and research the effectiveness of Site features and offerings, advertisements and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on Site.
In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as “flash cookies,” on the Site. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our Site. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access personally identifiable information that you have provided on the Site and cannot be accessed by other websites. To find out more about flash cookies or how to disable them, please visit: Flash Player Help site.
This Site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website and to improve Site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on the Site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
USING THE EXPEDIA MOBILE PHONE AND TABLET APPS (THE “MOBILE APPS”)
When you use an Expedia Mobile App, including the Conference app, we collect and use information about you in the same way and for the same purposes as we do when you use our Site.
In addition to this, we also use some other information that we collect automatically when you use our Mobile Apps. Specifically:
· We collect information about Mobile App functionality that you access and use. This allows us to identify those areas of the Mobile App that are of interest to our customers so that we can refine and continuously improve the Mobile App. The information we collect for this purpose does not enable us to directly identify you.
· Each Mobile App will also send us error-reporting information in the event that it crashes or hangs. This enables us to investigate the error and to improve the stability of the Mobile App for future releases. As part of these error reports, the Mobile App sends us information about the mobile device type and version, the UID, the time the error occurred, the feature being used and the state of the application when the error occurred. We do not use this information for any purpose other than investigating and remedying the error.
You always have the ability to control what information a Mobile App sends to us. You can exercise this control either by changing the settings of the Mobile App under its setting menu or changing the settings of your mobile device. Alternatively, you can remove the Mobile App from your mobile device entirely and access our services through our website.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using the Site and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may only do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
The Site is not directed to children and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Should a child whom we know to be under 13 send personal information to us, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Visiting our Site from outside the United States
How you can contact us
Last Modified: January 10, 2020
1. License to Use the Site Expedia grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to access and view content on the Site for your own personal, non-commercial purposes. This license is personal to you and may not be assigned or sublicensed to anyone else. Except as expressly permitted by Expedia in writing, you will not reproduce, redistribute, sell, create derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble the Site. Nor will you take any measures to interfere with or damage the Site. All rights not expressly granted by Expedia Group are reserved.
3. Submissions You may submit inquiries or feedback to Expedia Group through the email addresses listed on the Site. Do not submit information that would be considered proprietary and confidential. Expedia Group is not required to review any submission of content. To the extent you submit any ideas or feedback to Expedia Group, you grant Expedia Group a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free right and license to use such content for any purpose.
4. Representations and Warranties; Indemnification You represent and warrant that you have the right and authority to enter into this Agreement and that by doing so, you will not violate any law or breach any obligation to any third party. You will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Expedia Group and its affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents, from and against all third party actions that: (i) arise from your activities on the Site; and (ii) assert a violation by you of any term of this Agreement.
5. Disclaimers and Limitations on Liability Expedia Group reserves the right to modify the Site. You are responsible for providing your own access to the Site. Expedia Group provides the Site on an “as is” and “as available” basis. You therefore use the Site at your own risk. Expedia Group expressly disclaims any and all representations or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, Expedia Group shall not be liable, with respect to any claim arising out of or relating to the Site or this Agreement, for (i) any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or exemplary damages, including but not limited to damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses; and (ii) an amount exceeding USD $100.
Our performance of this Agreement is subject to existing laws and legal process, and nothing contained in this Agreement limits our right to comply with law enforcement or other governmental or legal requests or requirements relating to your use of this Site or information provided to or gathered by us with respect to such use. To the extent allowed by applicable law, you agree that you will bring any claim or cause of action arising from or relating to your access or use of this Site within two (2) years from the date on which such claim or action arose or accrued or such claim or cause of action will be irrevocably waived.
6. Forward-Looking Statements Information on the Site may include “forward looking statements” which are based on management’s belief as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made by and information currently available to management. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. These statements are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Expedia’s control, that could cause actual results to differ materially from such statements. Expedia Group disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
7. General This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, without regard to principles of conflicts of law.
Any action arising out of or relating to this Agreement or your use of the Site must be commenced in the state or federal courts located in King County, Washington (and you consent to the jurisdiction of those courts). In any such action, Expedia and you irrevocably waive any right to a trial by jury.
If any term of this Agreement is found invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, that term will be severed from this Agreement. No failure or delay by Expedia Group in exercising any right hereunder will waive any further exercise of that right. Expedia Group's rights and remedies hereunder are cumulative and not exclusive.
This Agreement is binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of both parties and their respective successors, heirs, executors, administrators, personal representatives, and permitted assigns. You may not assign this Agreement without Expedia Group’s prior written consent. No third party shall have any rights hereunder.
This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between Expedia Group and you concerning the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings regarding the same.
For any questions about this Agreement, please contact:
Expedia Group 1111 Expedia Group Way West Seattle WA 98119 Attention: Legal Department